Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL Multiphysics 4.4 is here!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello COMSOL Community,

The most powerful multiphysics software just got more powerful: We are excited to announce that the latest release of COMSOL Multiphysics, version 4.4, is now available for download. Learn about the new multiphysics coupling functionality, the enhanced user interface, and more at www.comsol.com/release/4.4

News in COMSOL Multiphysics
- New COMSOL Desktop interface for Windows with a ribbon design that provides easier navigation
- A completely new Multiphysics node in the model tree for setting up multiphysics models
* Combine physics interfaces to define your own multiphysics
* Choose from built-in multiphysics couplings
* View each physics interface as a separate node in the tree
- One-click select: hover-and-click selection method speeds up the modeling process
- Auto-complete search to quickly find variables to use in results in the Windows version
- Geometry subsequences for user-defined geometric primitives
- If/else statements in the model tree for conditional geometry creation
- Export mesh to NASTRAN file formats
- Time-unit handling in the solvers

News in add-on products
- Structural Mechanics Module: easy access to rotordynamic forces, updated shell-solid couplings, and fast method for contact
- Heat Transfer Module: fast methods for radiation in participating media, thermoelectric effect, and heating of biological tissue
- Acoustics Module: Linearized Euler equations for aeroacoustics simulations
- CFD Module: dramatically increased conservation of mass and energy for laminar flow
- AC/DC Module: now includes 167 nonlinear magnetic materials
- RF Module: ports on interior boundaries (reintroduced from version 3.5a)
- Particle Tracing Module: efficient method for particle-field and fluid-particle interactions
- Optimization Module: additional gradient-free method (BOBYQA) for dimensional optimization and additional gradient-based method (MMA) for topology optimization

New product
- Mixer Module: analysis of stirred mixers and reactors with tools for free surface modeling and non-Newtonian fluids

COMSOL Multiphysics 4.4 can be downloaded at www.comsol.com/support/download

Enjoy version 4.4!

Valerio

--
Valerio Marra, Ph.D.
Technical Marketing Manager
COMSOL, Inc.
+1-781-273-3322
valerio@comsol.com

12 Replies Last Post Dec 1, 2014, 4:52 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 27, 2013, 11:07 a.m. EST
Is there a trial license?
Is there a trial license?

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 27, 2013, 1:43 p.m. EST
Dear Yong,
Please contact our Sales Representatives at www.comsol.com/contact
They will take care of your request.
Valerio
Dear Yong, Please contact our Sales Representatives at www.comsol.com/contact They will take care of your request. Valerio

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 28, 2013, 6:28 a.m. EST

(...)
- New COMSOL Desktop interface for Windows with a ribbon design that provides easier navigation
- Auto-complete search to quickly find variables to use in results in the Windows version
(...)

Why is it that Comsol prioritize on Windows users?
[QUOTE] (...) - New COMSOL Desktop interface for [b]Windows[/b] with a ribbon design that provides easier navigation - Auto-complete search to quickly find variables to use in results in the [b]Windows[/b] version (...) [/QUOTE] Why is it that Comsol prioritize on Windows users?

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2013, 8:55 a.m. EST
Dear Felipe,

As you have pointed out, the ribbon is a great addition for Windows and I'd like to highlight that in the COMSOL Desktop environment, most of the functionality accessed from the ribbon is also accessible from contextual menus by right-clicking nodes in the model tree.

For those operations that are only available from the ribbon, such as selecting which desktop window to display, a set of menus and toolbars, which replace the ribbon for OS X and Linux, are available. The ribbon gives quick access to available commands and complements the model tree in the Model Builder window but there are also operations that are only available from the model tree, such as reordering and disabling nodes.

The user interface has been enhanced for all the operating systems that we support and more has yet to come...

Best regards,
Valerio
Dear Felipe, As you have pointed out, the ribbon is a great addition for Windows and I'd like to highlight that in the COMSOL Desktop environment, most of the functionality accessed from the ribbon is also accessible from contextual menus by right-clicking nodes in the model tree. For those operations that are only available from the ribbon, such as selecting which desktop window to display, a set of menus and toolbars, which replace the ribbon for OS X and Linux, are available. The ribbon gives quick access to available commands and complements the model tree in the Model Builder window but there are also operations that are only available from the model tree, such as reordering and disabling nodes. The user interface has been enhanced for all the operating systems that we support and more has yet to come... Best regards, Valerio

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 5, 2014, 11:29 a.m. EST
How to control equation system as v3.5 physics >equation system > boundary setting
?
Where is UMFPACK solver or the option instead it?
How to control equation system as v3.5 physics >equation system > boundary setting ? Where is UMFPACK solver or the option instead it?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 6, 2014, 12:00 p.m. EST
Hi Waleed,

To access the equations you have to display the Equation View subnode in the model tree: click the Show button and select Equation View from the Model Builder. Click the Equation view subnode and the corresponding settings window will show you detailed information about the implementation of each physics feature.

UMFPACK has been replaced by MUMPS, PARDISO, and SPOOLES.

Best,
Valerio

--
Valerio Marra, Ph.D.
COMSOL, Inc.
+1-781-273-3322
valerio@comsol.com
Hi Waleed, To access the equations you have to display the Equation View subnode in the model tree: click the Show button and select Equation View from the Model Builder. Click the Equation view subnode and the corresponding settings window will show you detailed information about the implementation of each physics feature. UMFPACK has been replaced by MUMPS, PARDISO, and SPOOLES. Best, Valerio -- Valerio Marra, Ph.D. Technical Marketing Manager COMSOL, Inc. +1-781-273-3322 valerio@comsol.com

Posted: 10 years ago Apr 28, 2014, 8:50 a.m. EDT
Hi,
How to I clear stored solutions/meshing in comsol 4.4? There used to be edit option in earlier version but it seems like it is not there any more in 4.4.

Regards,
Johnson
Hi, How to I clear stored solutions/meshing in comsol 4.4? There used to be edit option in earlier version but it seems like it is not there any more in 4.4. Regards, Johnson

Posted: 10 years ago Apr 28, 2014, 1:59 p.m. EDT
Hello Johnson,

If you are using Windows and COMSOL 4.4, please use these menu options:

Mesh > Clear Mesh
Study > Solver Configurations > Clear Solutions

Best regards,
Valerio
Hello Johnson, If you are using Windows and COMSOL 4.4, please use these menu options: Mesh > Clear Mesh Study > Solver Configurations > Clear Solutions Best regards, Valerio

Posted: 10 years ago Sep 7, 2014, 12:54 p.m. EDT
Hi,
In the plasmonic wire grating problem of RF module, for calculating the diffraction orders, a logic expression ( imag(emw.beta_3)==0) ) term is multiplied to the S parameter. According to the pdf manual, this is done to set the S parameter to zero when the wave is evanescent and to multiply with one
when it is propagating (since the diffraction orders are not propagating for all angles). Now I have a couple of questions.
(i) why use only the strings like 'imag' , 'beta' and not anything else ....... I mean are these the default settings in comsol to mean for a logical expression just like c_const to mean for speed of light?
(ii) If so, can you explain me in little detail or can you provide me some source where can I find the details regarding how to use logic expressions in comsol?
(iii) Do I have to multiply this logical expression every time when I want to calculate diffraction orders... or are there some specific rules?

Thanking you in advance
Hi, In the plasmonic wire grating problem of RF module, for calculating the diffraction orders, a logic expression ( imag(emw.beta_3)==0) ) term is multiplied to the S parameter. According to the pdf manual, this is done to set the S parameter to zero when the wave is evanescent and to multiply with one when it is propagating (since the diffraction orders are not propagating for all angles). Now I have a couple of questions. (i) why use only the strings like 'imag' , 'beta' and not anything else ....... I mean are these the default settings in comsol to mean for a logical expression just like c_const to mean for speed of light? (ii) If so, can you explain me in little detail or can you provide me some source where can I find the details regarding how to use logic expressions in comsol? (iii) Do I have to multiply this logical expression every time when I want to calculate diffraction orders... or are there some specific rules? Thanking you in advance

Posted: 10 years ago Sep 9, 2014, 5:17 p.m. EDT
Dear Johnson,

It sounds as if you are using a pre-4.4 version of COMSOL Multiphysics.

With the upcoming release of version 5.0, we suggest that you consider getting back on subscription and trying out the latest functionality we have in this area.

Best regards,
Valerio

--
Valerio Marra, Ph.D.
COMSOL, Inc.
+1-781-273-3322
valerio@comsol.com
Dear Johnson, It sounds as if you are using a pre-4.4 version of COMSOL Multiphysics. With the upcoming release of version 5.0, we suggest that you consider getting back on subscription and trying out the latest functionality we have in this area. Best regards, Valerio -- Valerio Marra, Ph.D. Technical Marketing Manager COMSOL, Inc. +1-781-273-3322 valerio@comsol.com

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 28, 2014, 11:42 p.m. EST
Hello Sir,
I have a question regarding the reference impedance used in comsol for calculating S parameters. Basically I want to reproduce the results given in the attached paper(pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp203150n). In the paper (page no. 15227, last para; I have high lightened) they have talked about renormalization of impedance to the impedance of free space. I think by default comsol uses 50 ohm as the reference impedance. So, how do I take care of this in comsol if I want to re normalize the impedance to free space impedance? Is it simply changing the default value in the reference impedance to the value of free space impedance?

Thanking You in advance
Johnson

Hello Sir, I have a question regarding the reference impedance used in comsol for calculating S parameters. Basically I want to reproduce the results given in the attached paper(http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp203150n). In the paper (page no. 15227, last para; I have high lightened) they have talked about renormalization of impedance to the impedance of free space. I think by default comsol uses 50 ohm as the reference impedance. So, how do I take care of this in comsol if I want to re normalize the impedance to free space impedance? Is it simply changing the default value in the reference impedance to the value of free space impedance? Thanking You in advance Johnson

Posted: 9 years ago Dec 1, 2014, 4:52 p.m. EST
Dear Johnson,

I suggest you to contact our Support Team at support@comsol.com.

Best regards,
Valerio

--
Valerio Marra, Ph.D.
COMSOL, Inc.
+1-781-273-3322
valerio@comsol.com
Dear Johnson, I suggest you to contact our Support Team at support@comsol.com. Best regards, Valerio -- Valerio Marra, Ph.D. Technical Marketing Manager COMSOL, Inc. +1-781-273-3322 valerio@comsol.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.