Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Temperature mapping with Model Coupling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I wish to generate temperatures in a model and subsequently map the temperatures them to a similar model in a different study. The two models will have the same geometry. However, the model will be moved to a new location in the second study.

I generated the simple attached case to practice and discovered that I must be missing something.

Can someone point out my mistake?

Thanks,

Joe

4 Replies Last Post Dec 5, 2012, 7:51 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 3, 2012, 10:18 a.m. EST
Hi
check the mapping operators to map one model variables to another.
You can have several models and copy the geometry or several physics in the same model (less evident for debugging) separated via the solvers

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the mapping operators to map one model variables to another. You can have several models and copy the geometry or several physics in the same model (less evident for debugging) separated via the solvers -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 3, 2012, 2:37 p.m. EST
Hello Ivar,

Thank you for getting to me and pointing me in the right direction. I think I see what I have to do for different model locations and I decided to repeat the practice without moving the second model, just to make sure I understood the procedure.

The result is shown in the attached case and it looks as if I failed to correctly map temperatures. In fact it appears that I somehow loaded 0K as the initial temperature in my second model.

Can you point out where I am making some fundamental mistake and what I need to do for this practice case.

Thanks again,

Joe
Hello Ivar, Thank you for getting to me and pointing me in the right direction. I think I see what I have to do for different model locations and I decided to repeat the practice without moving the second model, just to make sure I understood the procedure. The result is shown in the attached case and it looks as if I failed to correctly map temperatures. In fact it appears that I somehow loaded 0K as the initial temperature in my second model. Can you point out where I am making some fundamental mistake and what I need to do for this practice case. Thanks again, Joe

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 4, 2012, 3:00 a.m. EST
Hi

you have an easier way to model your case

0) you can have several studies under the same model
1) you can select the initial conditions of study 2, based on values from study 1
3) you can also enable and disable BC from the study node, hence making complex linked studies
In this way your values are better controlled and the transfer of variables from one "model" to the next one is far easier

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have an easier way to model your case 0) you can have several studies under the same model 1) you can select the initial conditions of study 2, based on values from study 1 3) you can also enable and disable BC from the study node, hence making complex linked studies In this way your values are better controlled and the transfer of variables from one "model" to the next one is far easier -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 5, 2012, 7:51 p.m. EST
Dear Ivar,

Your suggestion is great. It will same me lots of time.

Thanks,

Joe
Dear Ivar, Your suggestion is great. It will same me lots of time. Thanks, Joe

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.