Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Pyramid with rounded corners

Maximilian Hoerantner

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey all!

I am very new to COMSOL and for a research project I am now trying to model plasmonic effects on the tip of small pyramids.
The problem I have encountered is that I don't want any divergence of the effects in my model so I would like to simulate it with rounded corners of a radius I define in the parameters.
I know it is not easy to approach this as COMSOL unfortunately offers no fillet tool in 3D. Therefore I tried to do it the hard way by using spheres and cylinders but that takes for ever and needs a lot of trigonometry calculations. For that reason I wanted to ask if anyone of you has ever done that before and if you had any tipps to do it differently or if not provide a recipe to do it step by step?
That would safe me a lot of work.

Thanks for your comments,
Max

3 Replies Last Post Jul 8, 2016, 9:55 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 27, 2012, 10:02 a.m. EST
Hello,
Indeed, except for special cases where 3D filleting can be mimicked with spheres and cylinders, COMSOL does not currently offer 3D filleting. In the meantime, a work-around is to use a CAD package to generate the geometry and then import it via the CAD Import Module or one of the LiveLinks.
Jeff
Hello, Indeed, except for special cases where 3D filleting can be mimicked with spheres and cylinders, COMSOL does not currently offer 3D filleting. In the meantime, a work-around is to use a CAD package to generate the geometry and then import it via the CAD Import Module or one of the LiveLinks. Jeff

Maximilian Hoerantner

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 27, 2012, 10:10 a.m. EST
Thank you, I already thought about this too. the only problem would be that I could not just change the paramters and get different pyramids for that which is a nice feature of COMSOL. But I might be patient enough to build it with spheres and cylinders!
Thank you, I already thought about this too. the only problem would be that I could not just change the paramters and get different pyramids for that which is a nice feature of COMSOL. But I might be patient enough to build it with spheres and cylinders!

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Jul 8, 2016, 9:55 a.m. EDT
Update: 3D filleting is available in the Design Module since version 5.0: www.comsol.com/design-module . I am attaching a screenshot showing how easy it is now.
Best,
Jeff
Update: 3D filleting is available in the Design Module since version 5.0: https://www.comsol.com/design-module . I am attaching a screenshot showing how easy it is now. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.