Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particle-Particle Interaction with two Coupled Charged Particle Traces

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to simulate a double particle trace of ions and electrons in a volume to basically simulate ambipolar diffusion, like in plasmas. In a cylindrical volume, in one end I have the ions starting out and electrons in the other end. I would like to have these two sets of particles attract each other.

From the equations used for particle-particle interaction (which work perfectly if all the particles are doing is interacting with the same species), we have this equation built into COMSOL.

nojac(cpt.cptop1(-e_const^2*cpt.ke*(qx-dest(qx))/(1.0E-40+cpt.r^3)))

with cpt.r = sqrt((qx-dest(qx))^2+(qy-dest(qy))^2+(qz-dest(qz))^2+if(t==0,eps,1.0E-50))

And similarly there were equations for y and z.

My thought was if I created another dependent variable, where the dest(qx) term was replaced with dest(mod1.cpt2.q2x) etc. to track the locations of all the particles of the SECOND particle trace in relation to the first particle trace:

cpt.rOps = sqrt((qx-dest(mod1.cpt2.q2x))^2+(qy-dest(mod1.cpt2.q2y))^2+(qz-dest(mod1.cpt2.q2z))^2+if(t==0,eps,1.0E-50))

and likewise another Particle-Particle interaction with a user defined force:

nojac(cpt.cptop1(e_const^2*cpt.ke*(qx-dest(mod1.cpt2.q2x))/(1.0E-40+cpt.r^3))) (for all 3 dimensions)

and do the same thing for the second particle trace, but coupling it back to the first one instead, I could simulate an attractive force between the two separate particle traces.

I tried this and of many of the error messages I've received, I have this as my latest:
Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
- Variable: mod1.q2y
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 2 3
Failed to evaluate operator Jacobian.
- Operator: env_pgeom_cpt
- Geometry: 2
- Boundary: 1
Failed to evaluate operator Jacobian.
- Operator: env_pgeom_cpt
- Geometry: 2
- Boundary: 1

Any ideas, tips, directions, solutions are appreciated or is it possible to cross-reference/couple particle traces in COMSOL? Much appreciated, model is attached.

0 Replies Last Post Nov 14, 2012, 4:19 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Paul Keutelian

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.