Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cut Plane on Filtered Domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I was wandering if it is possible to filter the domains that a cut plane applies to. I am simulating laminar flow through a tubed cold plate (https://www.boydcorpdirect.com/cp10g18-tubed-cold-plate/cp10g18/). I have a cut plane that is normal to the flow direction in the tube and would like to perform the integration only on the fluid (not the copper tubing domain or the aluminum plate domain). Whenever I select surface integration and select my cut plane as the dataset, there is not an option to filter this further to only the fluid domain. I would prefer to do this all post-processing and not have to re-run the model, but if it is not possible (or very complicated) to do post-processing, I'd be open to any method.

Best, Josh

3 Replies Last Post Apr 22, 2021, 2:38 a.m. EDT
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 15, 2021, 1:02 a.m. EDT

Try the following:

• Create a copy of the Solution dataset. (Note that this is a cheap operation; it will not result in the actual FEM solution being copied.)
  • Add a selection subnode to new Solution dataset and select the domains that you are interested in.
  • Let the Cut Plane dataset refer to the Solution dataset that has a selection.
Try the following: * Create a copy of the Solution dataset. (Note that this is a cheap operation; it will not result in the actual FEM solution being copied.) * Add a selection subnode to new Solution dataset and select the domains that you are interested in. * Let the Cut Plane dataset refer to the Solution dataset that has a selection.

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 16, 2021, 9:44 p.m. EDT

Try the following:

• Create a copy of the Solution dataset. (Note that this is a cheap operation; it will not result in the actual FEM solution being copied.)
  • Add a selection subnode to new Solution dataset and select the domains that you are interested in.
  • Let the Cut Plane dataset refer to the Solution dataset that has a selection.

Hi Gunnar,

Did some more digging after that post and found the same answer on another forum thread. Worked like a charm! Appreciate the help! I also had to use a filter after that to filter some x-coordinates to single out single tubing passes (if you looked at the picture by any chance). Is there an easy way to grab the average temperature of the outer edge of this boundary after I have the filtered data set (surface)? As far as I know, it looks like I may have to create a parametric circular curve dataset and then calculate the line average over that dataset?

Best, Joshua Smay

>Try the following: > >* Create a copy of the Solution dataset. (Note that this is a cheap operation; it will not result in the actual FEM solution being copied.) >* Add a selection subnode to new Solution dataset and select the domains that you are interested in. >* Let the Cut Plane dataset refer to the Solution dataset that has a selection. Hi Gunnar, Did some more digging after that post and found the same answer on another forum thread. Worked like a charm! Appreciate the help! I also had to use a filter after that to filter some x-coordinates to single out single tubing passes (if you looked at the picture by any chance). Is there an easy way to grab the average temperature of the outer edge of this boundary after I have the filtered data set (surface)? As far as I know, it looks like I may have to create a parametric circular curve dataset and then calculate the line average over that dataset? Best, Joshua Smay

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 22, 2021, 2:38 a.m. EDT

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you mean with the last question but I think that the answer is no.

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you mean with the last question but I think that the answer is no.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.