Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Circularly polarized

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I simulate the structure under two-dimensional axisymmetric conditions. Can I set the background field waveform to circularly polarized light?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies Last Post Aug 6, 2020, 12:48 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Jul 9, 2020, 10:09 p.m. EDT

Yes, you can, but with some limitations. See the attached image.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Yes, you can, but with some limitations. See the attached image.

Posted: 4 years ago Aug 5, 2020, 9:38 a.m. EDT

Thank you very much for your reply, and I’m sorry to bother you again,

‘A Circularly polarized plane wave option is now available for the scattered field formulation when modeling with a 2D axisymmetric component. To use this functionality, start by exciting an axisymmetric scatterer with a circularly polarized background field in a 2D axisymmetric model. Then, by using the norm3DEfar function, estimate the far field and radar cross section (RCS) of the same scatterer in 3D, illuminated by a linearly polarized background field.’

I saw the above paragraph on the RF module updates module. Can I understand that when the background field of a two-dimensional axisymmetric structure is a circularly polarized light, the result obtained is equivalent to the incidence of linear polarized light of the three-dimensional structure?

If the incident field of a three-dimensional structure is circularly polarized, how should I set the two-dimensional axisymmetric background field

Thank you very much for your reply, and I’m sorry to bother you again, ‘A Circularly polarized plane wave option is now available for the scattered field formulation when modeling with a 2D axisymmetric component. To use this functionality, start by exciting an axisymmetric scatterer with a circularly polarized background field in a 2D axisymmetric model. Then, by using the norm3DEfar function, estimate the far field and radar cross section (RCS) of the same scatterer in 3D, illuminated by a linearly polarized background field.’ I saw the above paragraph on the RF module updates module. Can I understand that when the background field of a two-dimensional axisymmetric structure is a circularly polarized light, the result obtained is equivalent to the incidence of linear polarized light of the three-dimensional structure? If the incident field of a three-dimensional structure is circularly polarized, how should I set the two-dimensional axisymmetric background field

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Aug 6, 2020, 12:48 p.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Aug 6, 2020, 12:49 p.m. EDT

Hmm. I found the phrase you quoted at: https://www.comsol.com/release/5.4/rf-module . But this was apparently in reference to illuminating a sphere. Spheres, of course, exhibit maximal symmetry. I am skeptical that this method can be extended as far as you might like to do so. That is, it is not obvious to me that computing the response of a more arbitrarily-shaped (even if still axially-symmetric structure) to an on-axis directed circularly-polarized wave (k must be along the axis, or you couldn't use the 2D axisymmetric formalism), could then somehow be used to extract the general scattering response of such a structure to a linearly-polarized wave at arbitrary incidence. But, perhaps someone on Comsol's RF-technical staff can weigh in on this matter (or you might wish to contact technical support directly, if you have an active support license.) Best regards.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Hmm. I found the phrase you quoted at: https://www.comsol.com/release/5.4/rf-module . But this was apparently in reference to illuminating a *sphere*. Spheres, of course, exhibit maximal symmetry. I am skeptical that this method can be extended as far as you might like to do so. That is, it is not obvious to me that computing the response of a more arbitrarily-shaped (even if still axially-symmetric structure) to an on-axis directed circularly-polarized wave (k must be along the axis, or you couldn't use the 2D axisymmetric formalism), could then somehow be used to extract the general scattering response of such a structure to a linearly-polarized wave at arbitrary incidence. But, perhaps someone on Comsol's RF-technical staff can weigh in on this matter (or you might wish to contact technical support directly, if you have an active support license.) Best regards.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.