Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating Energy in a Layered Shell

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a model which includes a layered shell on the face of a rectangular prism. For each of the eigenmodes I need to integrate the energy in bulk and shear deformation in the solid and in the shell. Integrating the energy density for the solid is straightforward. However I cannot figure out how to do this for the shell. Calculations that include the layered shell's variables for energy density, stress tensor, and strain tensor (ie. lshell.Wh, lshell.el11, or lshell.sl11) all return errors stating that the variables are not defined -- even though they are clearly listed in the model's report.

Any assistance would be most welcome.

1 Reply Last Post Aug 14, 2019, 1:07 a.m. EDT
Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Aug 14, 2019, 1:07 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Aug 14, 2019, 1:05 a.m. EDT

Dear Steven,

We are looking at your model which you have shared through Support. We have few suggestions on the model before we finally answer your query on how to calculate energy in layered shell. We will get back to you shortly.

Best regards,
Pawan Soami

Dear Steven, We are looking at your model which you have shared through Support. We have few suggestions on the model before we finally answer your query on how to calculate energy in layered shell. We will get back to you shortly. Best regards, Pawan Soami

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.